Friday, June 27, 2008

Retro Fit - March and April


It is now the end of April and out of the original list of 62 projects, I have 16 completed and 10 in progress. Although I am no where near the original number, I feel pretty good about the progress. Once I wrap up the 10 I am working on, Amnesty will be ready for the summer. I will either knock out a few of the remaining during boating season, or put them off till next year.

Here is everything I a have finished so far:

Change Oil & Filter
Change Transmission Oil
Pull Alternator & Test Output (Note: Alternator replaced with 90amp Leece Neville)
Rewire Charging System
Replace Battery Bank 1 with Large Flooded Deep Cycle
Install 3rd Battery Bank
Test Battery Isolators (Note: battery Isolators pulled)
Fix cockpit instrumentation (Fuel Gauge and engine hour meter)
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace cooling impeller (Note: Entire raw water pump replaced)
Install Rail Mounted Roller Furling Lead Blocks
Re-stitch Jib UV Cover
Replace mainsheet rope
Test and patch old mainsail
Test and patch 150 Genoa
Find out why there is so much tension on the roller furler

Here are the projects in progress:

Bottom Paint
Patch Gel Coat Chips - Bow and Stern
Replace Zincs
Replace Anchor Light
Install Integrated Navigation System - Chart plotter / Radar / GPS / Depth Gauge
Install Hot Water Heater
Install Bathroom Shower Head
Replace Galley Faucet
Fix folding table leg
Repair refrigerator
Install outboard Motor and Mount


As you can see, it is quite a list....but that's not all. Over the course of the winter, I managed to do 7 "Winter Sails" with a few pleasure cruises mixed in (Author's Note: A "Winter Sail" was scheduled outing with the best crew I could find and we went out rain or shine unless it was too dangerous). During the "winter sails" we saw some nice days and we also saw conditions that would make the more timid sailors run for cover.

Why ????

In the open water, you can get jumped by a squall in a matter of moments (It happened to me last Tuesday) miles from a safe harbor. I went out in the big nasty to build my heavy weather experience and learn how far I can push the boat. There were times when the wind was howling at 30+ Knots (36 MPH)....We were under full sail and hauling the mail at 12.5 knots and showing Amnesty's ass to the world.

If I ever get jumped again, I will most likely reef the sails or pull them down and motor to a safe harbor instead of going full throttle. At full throttle you are one mistake away from a "May-Day, May-Day" call and being pulled out of the water by a coast guard helicopter. However, I now know more about the boat's capabilities and my own.

I am not posting any project photos. I have quite a few, but the are pretty boring. Instead, here is a photo of my dock neighbor "Ed". In becoming a boat owner, I have had quite a few pleasant surprises. One of them was that you meet a lot of fascinating people....and Ed tops the charts. He is a "Salty Dog" and one of the best sailors I know (He has been to the Caribbean and back twice). He looks like he can chew nails, however he has a kind and generous soul. Just ask his best friend "Yogi" his toy poodle who lives like a prince aboard their Catalina 30.

No comments: