Friday, June 27, 2008

The Retro Fit

The first casualty of war is the plan.

I finally completed the task list...62 items. I went to the boat on Sunday December 28th to get the part numbers/sizes/lengths of everything that needs to be replaced. Unlike an auto parts store, you can't go to a marine supply store and say "I need a fuel filter for a 1988 Catalina 36". You can't rely on the service manuals either...boat owners are notorious for changing things. For instance, the boat has a custom (and very expensive fuel cell) and most likely the fuel filter was changed in the process. You have to know exactly what you need and that means crawling through to boat to get the part numbers.

I arrived at the boat at the crack of noon with my lap top and a vente quad shot raspberry mocha...I can't do any serious work without my coffee. I set up the lap top and was just about to pull the engine cover off when I noticed that the wood work looked a tad bit dull.

In that instant, the plan was null and void. I pulled everything off the shelves, dug out the teak oil and some rags and went to work on the wood. It took a full day, but holy geeze it was worth it...you should see the luster on the woodwork now.

I have come to realize that owning a boat is a labor of love...and I love working on my boat. I have found that there are some things that you do simply because it is damn good therapy. Now that I have had my little indulgence, Saturday is the first weekend of '09...Time to get back to "The Plan"

No comments: